Hiking the Chilkoot Trail in Alaska
- Single room: CAD $195 (hotel & tent)
- Porter service: $1050 per person (1 porter per 2 guests)
- Extra for group of 3: CAD $395 p.p.
- Prices are per person based on double occupancy, 5% GST is added, all transactions are in Canadian dollars
- NCT 01/2018Jun 30 2018 to Jul 6 2018
- FullNCT 02/2018Jul 8 2018 to Jul 14 2018Available Spaces:0
- ConfirmedNCT 03/2018Jul 15 2018 to Jul 21 2018
- NCT 04/2018Jul 22 2018 to Jul 28 2018
- NCT 05/2018Jul 29 2018 to Aug 4 2018
- ConfirmedNCT 06/2018Aug 4 2018 to Aug 10 2018Available Spaces:4
- NCT 07/2018Aug 12 2018 to Aug 18 2018
- NCT 08/2018Aug 19 2018 to Aug 25 2018
We'll greet you at Whitehorse airport and transfer you to the hotel in downtown Whitehorse. In the evening your guide will meet you at your hotel and explain the details and getting prepared for hiking the Chilkoot Trail. Of course, he will advise /assist you packing your backpack.
We'll drive to Carcross and over the White Pass to Skagway. There is the opportunity for an optional ride on the historic train of the White Pass & Yukon Route railroad from Fraser to Skagway. Get a first taste of the gold rush in this little historic town, and after lunch we'll continue to Dyea, where we'll start our hike on the Chilkoot Trail. Today we'll hike to our first camp (approx. 3 hours hiking time).
After breakfast our adventure continues through the rain forest. There are lots of creek crossings, as we'll follow the banks of the Taiya River. Be prepared to get wet feet! This is a pleasant day with some easy and some fairly steep but short climbs. The next camp is 5 to 6 hours hiking away.
Today we'll leave very early and climb above tree line where we can enjoy the superb view of mountains and glaciers. This is the toughest day on the hike. Climb the golden stairs and think about the stampeders who had to do this stretch more than 20 times! When we reach the Chilkoot pass we cross the border between Alaska and Canada, at more than 1100 meters (3700 feet) above sea level! From here we'll descend over snowfields, passing small lakes, creeks and rock outcrops to reach "Happy Camp" (6-8 hours) in late afternoon.
From Happy Camp to Lindeman is in some ways the best part of the trail, with expansive views, gentle grades (except for a bit of ridge-work above Long Lake), and a great feeling of accomplishment tucked away safely in your vest pocket ( 4-5 hours hiking time).
Today we'll continue our trek to Lake Bennett where the Chilkoot Trail ends (4 to 5 hours hiking time). A float plane will pick us up by late afternoon for our spectacular flight back to Whitehorse. Upon arrival in Whitehorse, we’ll pick you up and bring you to your hotel where you definitely will enjoy a hot shower!
We'll bring you to the airport for your flight south or you'll take off on your own for your next adventure.
- Airport transfers in Whitehorse;
- Transportation Skagway and Dyea;
- Flight by float plane from Lake Bennett to Whitehorse;
- Accommodation in Whitehorse (2 x hotel) and in tents on the trail;
- All meals on the trail including non-alcoholic beverages;
- All camping equipment such as stove, dishes, tents etc. except for sleeping bag & sleeping pad;
- Chilkoot Park fees and licenses;
- Emergency equipment (first aid kit, bear spray, satellite phone).
- Licensed wilderness guide.
- Meals and beverages in hotels and restaurants;
- Sleeping bag & sleeping pad;
- Optional ride on the White Pass & Yukon Route historic train from Fraser to Skagway;
- Trip cancellation & medical insurance: We strongly recommend you purchase adequate insurance coverage at the time of booking. Your policy should cover injury, illness or death, trip cancellation, emergency medical, search & rescue, flight accident, travel accident, loss of baggage and personal effects.
- Before you decide to book this trip please read our Chilkoot Trail hikers guide.
- During our Chilkoot Trail adventure everyone carries part of the load, approximately 18 kg (40 lbs). This includes your own gear, some group camping gear and a portion of the food.
- We will carry the bare minimum and safely store your other belongings in Whitehorse.
- Please make sure you have all necessary documents for entry into the USA! Conditions change on short notice and Nature Tours of Yukon assumes no liability, if you are denied entry into Alaska.
- You will be required to sign a 'release of claims and waiver of liability' form prior to the departure of this tour.